jacobmake

I have creative ADD

jacobmake header image 2

zombie game

October 16th, 2007 · 11 Comments · Concept

zombie

This is a project I’ve been wanting to tackle for a long time. My friends and I frequently discuss creating an online zombie multi-player game. Our ideas are grandiose, but for this to succeed it would obviously need more definition and possibly a scaled down phase 1.

Here is what I’m proposing for a possible phase 1 zombie game.

• A simple top-down scrolling map format.
  • This would focus more on fun-factor and less on immersive experience.
  • I’d like for it to be deployable for multi-user use.
  • team death-match quick-play style.
  • play as zombie after dead? control zombie “hord” after dead?

Has anyone tried hooking up AIR to SmartFox?

BRAINS……………

Tags: ·····

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 alex // Oct 16, 2007 at 10:38 pm

I’m always down for a geek project. Never used AIR/SmartFox – can’t be that difficult though. I write software that simulates 3D electromagic fields after all..

• 2 jacobmake // Oct 17, 2007 at 3:12 pm

As far as Flash socket server examples, Red Interactive’s homepage has been a big influence.

For this specific project I know I’ve spoken with Pat, Saint, Matt, Lucas & Josh for sure. A big ole brain such as Big Baby Jesus would surely be welcome in such an effort.

If there is anybody interested / willing to collaborate on any of the projects I post here, the more the merrier. The scope of the zombie game directly correlates to the folks on the project.

My biggest intention for this was to have a “clever” way to play once you have been turned into a zombie. Any thoughts?

• 3 tokyocrunch // Nov 17, 2007 at 10:56 pm

I have no interest whatsoever in your zombie game.

I’ve considered (with help from Digital Cowboy) how gameplay might differ for those who have been bitten but not consumed entirely. We devised multiple transformation phases that fade into one another in sequence…

Phase 1: The Bitten: With adrenaline pumping and the alien effects of zombification taking root, the player exhibits slightly superhuman speed, strength, and senses (like Jeff Goldblum’s early Fly transmogrification). Still human.

Phase 2: The Infected: Superhuman powers slowly wane and are replaced with a drunk-like stupor (delayed, inverted, or random key response) and temporary losses of orientation. Human-ish.

Phase 3: The Turned: After a brief blackout period (“death”), the player again exhibits a bevy of superhuman skills, though this time is drawn toward all human characters (a forced but not mechanical “gravity” limits their movement choices if humans are within sensing distance). Once within a certain radius of a human, the player momentarily loses control altogether, lunging and flailing wildly after their target (this must, in my estimation, feel like a totally animal reflex). Perception may ignore walls, for instance, and only hone in on warm bodies and beating hearts. Full-on zombie.

Also, this old ditty.

• 4 jacobmake // Nov 18, 2007 at 10:24 am

from my friend Saint in an email. I’m quoting him totally w/out permission;

2 different schools of thought for you regarding your zombie play:

1) Richard Matheson is sometimes considered the father of the zombie genre. He wrote a short story called I Am Legend (soon to be remade into a movie by Will Smith, already adapted as Omega Man, and Last Man on Earth). In I Am Legend, the zombies are actually vampiric. They only come out at night and feed on humans (like zombies minus the night) but hen the story begins we are a few years intothe outbreak. The creatures are not very intelligent, they wander, the shout and scream obscenities at Legend, and wait for food to show up. The twist in the story, sorry about this, is that they EVOLVE. The new “strain” of the virus that infects people and some of the old people lets them walk in the daytime, they think better, are more cognitive, and can use deductive logic. By the end of the story they are at human higher reasoning functioning. So, all in all, the virus evolves, zombies get smarter to adapt to to be able to hunt/eat better.

Scenario two comes from a group of books called Monster Island, Monster Nation, etc. The premise here that I like is that the zombies are again affected by a virus or bacterium. When the virus takes over the body, it kills the basic life functions off, including breathing. The problem is that upon reanimation (when the virus takes over the body as a parasitic symbiote) the brain has had so much oxygen deprivation that the zombies have “brain damage.” This is why the stumble, walk slowly, groan, and are easily evaded. BUT, a character in the book puts an oxygen mask on before he loses life function because he was bit by a zombie. When he reanimates, he can think. He loses his ability to rationalize only when his hunger for flesh/blood extends longer than a day or two. HE can also appease this by eating meat of some sort. It doesn’t stop the hunger, but reduces it so he can function. SO, morale of the story, oxygen deprivation makes zombies stupid.

Just some thought as to how the zombies can be fast walkers and think/rationalize. Also, according to World War Z, zombies lose dexterity as their body progresses through contamination. Basically, thevirus causes blood to coagulate and congeal, so theydon’t die easily, but their ligaments dry out andtheir limbs fall off, skin rots, etc.

• 5 jacobmake // Nov 18, 2007 at 10:40 am

The Examinus game I mentioned previously has a solid dialog going w/ zombie-head game fans. It seems there game is going to encompass quite a bit. I love all of these game concepts, how can we boil them down into something quick and easy for a V1 Flash deployment?

• 6 Lee // Oct 6, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Where did you find that zombie picture? I’d like to find it’s author so get permission to use it on a party invite. Thanks -

• 7 Jaiden // Nov 6, 2008 at 5:55 pm

There is already a Zombie MMO

• 8 Bloodghast // Jan 2, 2009 at 11:59 pm

What Jaiden said — there already is a zombie MMO.
    It’s call Urban Dead. Look it up. Good luck on making one though — can’t wait to see it when it’s done, aye?

• 9 alex // Feb 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

im making a game already, itll probably be pout in 4 months or so, pretty basic, rpg online. its not text though (:

• 10 alex // Feb 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm

anyone interested in helping me sprite? ameno_era_addict@hotmail.com

• 11 Weekend Poll: Brrrraaaiiinnnnsss! Vote for your fave Zombie flick & WIN! « Geek Girl on the Street // Feb 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm

[...] [Image via JacobMake] [...]